New Kernel problem

Michael Cox michael.cox at honeywell.com
Thu Apr 26 18:52:25 CDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Brian Densmore wrote:

> OK, I compiled the 2.4.3 kernel this morning. I used the new "built-in"
> (whatever that means) ipchains type stuff, I didn't include the "old"
> ipchains and ipfwadmin in the kernel. When the machine boots the personal
> "firewall" (SuSE, software only), it tells me it can't run ipchains. Fine, I
> suppose I'll need to make some configuration change here, what I haven't a
> clue. The big problem here is now the pppd dies whenever I try to dial out.
> I have ppp built into the kernel!? What am I doing wrong? Anyone using
> 2.4.3?
>
> Being Irish and Scotch, I'm willing to bang my head upon the wall until the
> wall breaks or I pass out. ;')>
>
> Best Regards and Thanks In Advance,
> Brian Densmore
> <mailto:densmoreb at ctbsonline.com>
> Associate
> Computech Business Solutions, Inc.
> http://www.ctbsonline.com/

I experienced the same thing, but I also had module compile issues, so I
figured it was related.  That was Tuesday...spent last night installing new
processor/main board/etc. (whoosh, zoom, scorch), so I haven't had an
opportunity to resolve it.

--

  .-.          Michael Cox
  /v       Linux user 199542