New Kernel problem

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Fri Apr 27 02:21:42 CDT 2001

In article <6995627CB46CD311BB960008C75690FC16A6FD at CTBS_HQ1> you write:
>OK, I compiled the 2.4.3 kernel this morning. I used the new "built-in"
>(whatever that means) ipchains type stuff, I didn't include the "old"
>ipchains and ipfwadmin in the kernel.

The 2.4 kernel uses yet another way of firewall/Network Address
Translating called netfilter.  Ipfwadm and ipchains are now obsolete,
although still supported.  If you have a functioning ipchains setup then
you can use it with the ipchains module in 2.4, otherwise you'd probably
be better off using the new netfilter rules.

http://netfilter.samba.org/unreliable-guides/

> When the machine boots the personal
>"firewall" (SuSE, software only), it tells me it can't run ipchains.

You might try to compile the ipchains module and see if SuSE likes that...
It is supposed to work with the ipchains setups.

Regards,

-Don
--
 .sig lite