Building kernels on different machines [WAS: System Map]

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Thu Apr 12 19:37:11 CDT 2001

You also have to remember to back up your .config file (if you've
already configured the kernel) to some other place, preferrably
with a machine dependent name as in:

'cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.blah/.config /usr/src/laptop.config'

BEFORE you do the 'make mkproper'.  In fact, copy the file clear
out to your home directory, too.  Reconfiguring your kernel because
you forgot to back up the config file is very frustrating.  Even with
the xconfig or menuconfig options, it still takes a long time and
you may not get it back to how you had it before...

Now if the distro vendors would just publish thier .config files,
we'd all be able to get things done a lot easier.

Oh well, at least we can use the kernels that ship with the distros
nowadays.  I remember not having ethernet until I got the kernel
from slackware recompiled a while ago.  Made for some
interesting evenings transferring chopped up kernels on floppies.

Later,

    Tony