Question of the day -- helpful for newbies?

JD Runyan jrunyan.lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Thu Apr 12 17:47:45 CDT 2001

/usr/local is good, and there is the /opt file system.  Most of the GNU
utils come with a config.layout file that includes the settings for he /opt
file system.  You will see this used on alot of the propriatary boxes.  The
thing about UNIX is you can put them anywhere, but you should be organized,
and document it if the system will be used by others.  You will see alot of
application vendors create there own file systems for there products, and
related products if they come in and install the software.  If you just run
"./configure --prefix=/usr/local" on most setups this will lay everything
out how you want, except the files that go in /etc will be in
/usr/local/etc.  You can either create a symbolic link back to /etc or add
the directive on most configure scripts "--sysconfdir=/etc"  I probably just
entered into the realm of TMI, but I hope it helps.