Where to install stuff [WAS: Question of the day -- helpful for n ewbies?]

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Apr 12 19:10:07 CDT 2001

IMHO, any package that does that withOUT using your
distribution's package management system is broken.
When doing upgrades of things shipped _by_ your
distribution, it needs to have a _complete_ picture
in whatever database it maintains of what is(n't)
installed.  Things that go into /usr, /etc, and so
forth, break this assumption possibly causing your
later upgrades to break other things.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net
hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com

-- Attributions fixed, and text reformatted. --