Broadband

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Sep 26 16:21:01 CDT 2000

At 10:11 AM 9/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Speaking of RedHat, has anyone looked at RH7 yet?  Are there any great
>benefits to upgrading, or should I wait until the 2.4 kernel comes out?
>
>Gene

Here's the info I just got on it:

From: "Red Hat, Inc." <offer-admin at redhat.com>
To: Red Hat <offer at redhat.com>
Subject: Red Hat Linux 7 Now Available!

Red Hat Linux 7 is here! This newest version of Red Hat Linux features
Red Hat Network, a service that will help system administrators
improve the security and reliability of their systems. To celebrate
this release, Red Hat is hosting a series of online events where you
can learn what's new in Red Hat Linux and other Red Hat technologies.
Want to learn more? Read on.

INSIDE:
1. What should I know about Red Hat Linux 7?
2. How can I buy Red Hat Linux 7?
3. What is Red Hat Network?
4. How do I participate in online events?
5. How can I take advantage of Red Hat's new support forums?

-----

1. WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT RED HAT LINUX 7?

Red Hat Linux Version 7 offers a wide range of new capabilities for
developers and enterprise users. With enhanced security, new ease-of-use
features and increased 3D support--along with dozens of new
enterprise-ready applications, Red Hat Linux 7 extends its lead as the
most widely used open source server environment in the world.

http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/software.html

New features in Red Hat Linux 7
- OpenSSL--128-bit encryption for secure communication
- USB support for mice and keyboards
- Graphical firewall configuration tool
- XFree86 4.0 for improved video performance
- 2.4 kernel ready
- Cleaner, faster, more customizable GNOME desktop and Sawfish window
  manager
- Easily connect to the Internet right from the desktop

Red Hat Linux 7 is a complete solution for workstations or servers
- Customized notifications and proactive updates via Red Hat Network
- Easy graphical installation with autodetection of hardware
- Choose between custom or predefined installation classes
- Netscape Web browser and multiple email clients
- True multi-user, multi-tasking operating system
- Software RAID support for RAID 0 through RAID 5
- Kickstart install of one configuration on multiple machines
- IP and name-based virtual hosting
- Upgrade from previous versions of Red Hat Linux as early as 3.0.3

-----

2. HOW CAN I BUY?

Red Hat Linux 7 comes in three flavors:

Red Hat Linux 7 ($29.95, 4 CDs)
- 60 days Red Hat Network trial
- 60 days Web-based installation support

Red Hat Deluxe Workstation ($79.95, 6 CDs)
- Red Hat Linux 7
- 90 days Red Hat Network trial
- Two office suites: StarOffice and Applixware
- 2 CDs of Linux Applications
- 30 days telephone and 90 days Web-based installation support

Red Hat Professional Server ($179.95, 10 CDs)
- Red Hat Linux 7
- 180 days Red Hat Network trial
- 128-bit encryption with OpenSSL
- Complete Web, mail, and ftp servers included
- 5 CDs of Linux applications
- 30 days telephone and 90 days Web-based installation support
- 30 days Web-based Apache configuration support

Ready to buy? Go to: http://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/software.html
and buy the edition of your choice today!

Interested in learning more about versions of Red Hat Linux available
around the world? Try these sites:

Europe: https://www.europe.redhat.com/shop/
Japan: http://www.redhat.com/jp/
Asia-Pacific: email pacificrim at redhat.com
Other Locations: http://www.redhat.com/about/contact.html

-----

3. WHAT IS RED HAT NETWORK?

Red Hat Network is a secure Internet service for deploying and managing
networks of Red Hat Linux systems. It helps system administrators
improve the security and reliability of their systems through features
such as customized notifications and proactive updates, system status
summaries, and technical support options from Red Hat and the community
of Red Hat Linux users.

To register for a free trial, purchase one of the products mentioned
above or go to: http://www.redhat.com/network

-----

4. HOW DO I PARTICIPATE IN ONLINE EVENTS?

Red Hat has planned a series of events to coincide with the release of
Red Hat Linux 7. Featured events include:

What Can Red Hat Network Do For You?
help you improve the security and reliability of your Red Hat Linux
systems. Take advantage of an exciting opportunity to ask questions of
the experts during this online event.
Type: Discussion Forum
Time: 4-6pm EST
Featured Experts: Christian Gafton (Red Hat Network Manager), Billy
Marshall (Red Hat Network Director), Adrian Likins (Red Hat Network
Engineer)

Preview Technologies in Red Hat 7
preview technologies included in Red Hat Linux 7, and what's comming
next. Ask about what's new with GNOME, GTK, Pango, and more!
Type: Discussion Forum
Time: 11am-1pm EST
Featured Experts: Dave Mason, Havoc Pennington, Owen Taylor, Jonathon
Blandford, Elliot Lee, Tim Janik

For a complete list of all events with schedules and instructions:
http://www.redhat.com/devnet/events/

-----

5. HOW CAN I TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RED HAT'S NEW SUPPORT FORUMS?

We are also pleased to announce that Red Hat now has public Support
Forums available to the Linux community. These forums will allow
members of the community to answer each other's technical questions.
In addition, these forums will be closely monitored by members of
Red Hat's technical support staff who will both intercede and
contribute when appropriate. The initial set of forums include:

- New Red Hat Linux User Forum
- Red Hat Network Support Forum
- Red Hat Linux Installation and Configuration Support Forum
- The X Windowing System Support Forum
- Apache and Stronghold Support Forum
- CCVS Support Forum

Go check them out today: