LinuxFest 2000 Update Part 6

Altona Duston hald at sound.net
Sun Jun 25 04:41:42 CDT 2000

Well after the final and apparently most successful if nearly vendor
absent day of the conference, I would have to say that taken alone,
today could possibly have been considered a success.  I would guess
that there were over 100 people who came through today.
Emmett Plant's talk was quite entertaining, and kept everyone in place
for over 30 minutes.  He did some light advocacy, talked about some
personal history, a little bit about the day in the life of a
slashdotter, some of the personalities in Linux, and told us how to
improve the odds of getting posted on slashdot (provide a link!!!)  I
moderated him as "+1 interesting" after he finished :)  Dennis Moore
from IBM's S/390 group gave an interesting talk about Linux on S/390,
and what IBM has done with it, and what they hope to get out of it.
He showed some of the contributions that IBM has made back to the
community (Kernel patches, GCC updates, and GLIBC updates).  It
certainly looks like IBM "get's it" from my point of view.  We had a
number of people come by and ask about KCLUG meetings, where they were
held, and what time, etc.

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net