cable/dsl

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 21:48:46 CDT 2000

What the heck, while we're on the subject, here's my setup:

RoadRunner cable modem -> 10/100 switch -> firewall box
                                        -> other computers

The firewall box uses masquerading to allow the others to use
the cable modem and uses ip aliasing so it only has one NIC.

All of the other computers use ipforwarding to connect to the
firewall box.

I was running every-box-for-itself, but at $10/box for extra
IP addresses, the masquerading setup saves me lots of money.

With linux, there is never any compelling reason (at home)
to have multiple NICs.  I doubt that anyone needs a lot of
extra bandwidth.  IP aliasing is ridiculously easy to set up,
so all those people who claim to need two NICs to run a
firewall are misinformed.  Once DCHP is established, run
'ifconfig eth0:1 <local IP address>'  Now you can have a
static /etc/hosts files and place to forward IP packets to.

Also, to add fuel to Brian's argument against USB, remember
that the maximum bandwidth is only 12Mb/s for all devices
put together.  Moving your mouse could slow down your
network...

Later,

Tony Hammitt