cable/dsl

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Wed Jun 14 00:23:10 CDT 2000

Tony Hammitt <thammitt at kc.rr.com> writes:
> With linux, there is never any compelling reason (at home)
> to have multiple NICs.  I doubt that anyone needs a lot of
> extra bandwidth.  IP aliasing is ridiculously easy to set up,
> so all those people who claim to need two NICs to run a
> firewall are misinformed.  Once DCHP is established, run
> 'ifconfig eth0:1 <local IP address>'  Now you can have a
> static /etc/hosts files and place to forward IP packets to.

Hmm, so you only have one NIC on your masquerading machine?  This seems a
little iffy.  Doesn't that potentially allow traffic from your interior
network to leak out onto RR's network (where it might be sniffed, etc)?

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.