Meeting notes - harddrive problems

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Wed Jul 19 20:06:18 CDT 2000

Wow -- I'm glad I wasn't the only one with harddrive problems!   My wife's
Win98 box finally shot craps and I decided just to start from scratch.  I
bought a new WD 13.6gig drive at CompUSA for $100 and then when I went to
put it in, I put her old primary drive as a slave to the new one.  Jumpers
hooked up and ready to roll, I thought "I should probably leave that old
drive disconnected until I get everything installed . . . . nah it should
work fine."   I grab the HP Pavilion rescue CD and go through the
procedure.  Then I noticed when it runs FDisk on the drive . . . it
FDisk'ed the 8 gig, and not the 13.6!   YIKES!!!!   I shut the box down
immediately and began to think of all the stuff I just lost.   I searched
the net for some restore software, but thankfully later on when I got the
new drive in and working, I realized that I hadn't completely fubar'ed the
drive.  I could still read it.   Before I did all this, I had backed it up
most of the important stuff to the old secondard drive I had  in the computer.

Bottom line -- the new linux box will have a tape backup system on it and
routinely back stuff up for the home network and I learned to always think
twice about what I'm doing.  Sometimes logic doesn't seem to apply --
especially with Windows machines.

The good thing is, at least I can pull the old 8 gig out and use it for a
MP3/Linux jukebox I've been wanting to do.  That'll be my winter project --
I'm building a cabinet, putting amplifier in it and that.   Hehehe!

--- Bradley Miller