18-July meeting

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Wed Jul 19 17:34:05 CDT 2000

Well, no official or semi-official minutes this time because it was supposed
to be an installfest.

After the room reservation fiasco we hastily planned to relocate to Tom
Margraves church building in North KC.  Started around 6-6:30.

Tom was the only one to bring a PC in need of Linux so we started playing
with it and attempted putting on Redhat 6.2.  I had some trouble with the
BIOS as I have tried to avoid Dell's for a while (I recently fixed about 50
and his was different from those).  For the first several starts it didn't
seem like it was seeing the drives (IBM 10-15GB, Quantum 15GB).  After much
fiddling and jumper switching it seemed like it was working and Redhat
installed in like 10 minutes.
Big problem though.  On trying to mount his Windows drive (the IBM), it was
nowhere to be found.  I was looking at the jumpers backwards on the Quantum
unfortunately and the setting it ended up on allowed the BIOS to ignore the
drive and we installed on the IBM without realizing it.  So Tom lost a lot
of work-related projects and software.  Only some of it is recoverable from
his network and he was probably spending this morning rebuilding his work
box.  There's a lot to be said for using backups.  In hindsight we should
have totally disconnected the drive, but we didn't.  Sorry again Tom.  He
was a good sport about it.  And really it wasn't revenge for the mail
bombing.  On a positive note the Linux install worked without a hitch.

Other than that there were a few laptops that Hal and Randy got talking to
each other over a serial cable.  Not exciting to everyone, but important to
Hal as it will aid in his upgrading his software from time to time.  He
doesn't have ethernet or modem on the laptop and has to build custom
floppies for everything.  Ugh.

Well that's all I have to report.  Next victim.

Brian Kelsay
Official hardware monkey and wiper of drives.