LUGs and the Web of Trust.

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Fri Jul 7 02:59:33 CDT 2000

  Saw this in one of Bruce Perens' old columns, "The Trojan Horse"
<http://lwn.net/1998/1119/Trojan.html> and thought we ought to put it on
the agenda for "structured activities" that fit our as-yet-undefined
Mission:

						Expand the Web of Trust.

  Contact your local Linux Users Group, and have a knowledgable person
instruct members in public-key cryptography and run a public key
cross-signing session regularly at their meetings. Every Linux or Open
Source convention, where developers are likely to get together, should
host some form of public-key certification, and should announce that well
in advance so that developers bring the proper materials to the show.
Conventions should also run tutorials on how to use GNU Privacy Guard and
how to properly handle and sign cryptographic keys. Through key-signings,
developers can join the web of trust, which is a method of identifying
people whom you haven't met by checking their public keys for
cryptographic signatures made by people you have met. Then, we'll have a
way to identify our developers.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.