LUGs and the Web of Trust.

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Fri Jul 7 09:12:28 CDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 08:15:12PM -0500, Monty J. Harder wrote:
>   Saw this in one of Bruce Perens' old columns, "The Trojan Horse"
> <http://lwn.net/1998/1119/Trojan.html> and thought we ought to put it on
> the agenda for "structured activities" that fit our as-yet-undefined
> Mission:
<snip>

At the last meeting after the intermission (that's where the library
staff kicks us out of the Missouri Valley Room and into the parking lot)
I mentioned that lynx will display .gif and .jpg files with a tweak to
/etc/mailcap but didn't remember exactly what it was.  The necessary lines
are:

image/*; xv %s; test = test $DISPLAY
image/*; zgv %s; test = test ! $DISPLAY

which will use zvg if you are not using "X" and use xv if you are (but
why use lynx from an xterm?).  It simply checks to see if you have the
environment variable DISPLAY set to decide if "X" is running.

In keeping with Monty's theme of encryption, this line in /etc/mailcap will
enable mutt to use gpg (along with a few settings in the muttrc file).  I
don't know how/if it helps other mail readers but mutt works quite well.

application/pgp-encrypted; gpg  -o - %s | metamail; needsterminal

Jim