hello to all from a Linux curious Windows slave

Roscoe Brooks rbrooks at scanamcorp.com
Fri Feb 18 22:26:18 CST 2000

Welcome from a fellow Windows user who has also recently joined this mailing
list. Sending this message off from Microsoft Outlook...

I'm a beginning Linux user as well, but I've installed and briefly played
with many of the distributions available.

First thing: get a current version of a distribution.

As a beginner, you should probably look into Red Hat 6.1, Corel Linux 1.0,
or Caldera OpenLinux 2.3. Corel is probably the easiest. I've decided I'm
going to take a whack at Debian, but I've already tried the other distros
and am feeling a bit adventurous. Plus, I've got the O'reilly "Learning
Debian" book to help me along. That's another thing: if you don't have a
book, get a book!

As the obvious do-gooder that you are, you will find Debian's philosophy
probably matches closest with your own.

About the hard disk: just tap it lightly with a hammer. This will erase the
partition table. :-)