Organizing KCLUG

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Feb 18 18:53:12 CST 2000

At 12:20 PM 2/18/00 -0600, you wrote:
>I also want to mention that I think it would be a bad idea to charge dues.
>For some people, such as students and others, it really does make a
>difference if you can be in an organization or not when you are asked to
>pay.  Dues may also go against the concept of the group since Linux is an
>Open Source operating system and the main idea is that its "free".

I don't see any issue with charging dues -- Linux isn't exactly "free".
You have to figure the costs of purchasing a distro, or downloading, or
burning it . . .etc.   If you do everything online, yes I can see free.
But I can also see the benefits of something that you can hold in your hand
-- a newsletter.  That costs money, as does mailings and other things.  I'm
going to pickup our newsletters and it'll be another hefty chunk of change
for that between printing and mailing costs.

On people leading and that -- I think if you get some ambitious people in
there with some business sense it'll work out fine.  Unfortunately
sometimes the "techie" side isn't blessed with business nor organizational
skills to take a group where it needs to be.  Yes, they can technologically
get people there, but they don't know where they are going on their own.  ;-)

-- Bradley Miller