Organizing KCLUG

Gene E. Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Fri Feb 18 19:13:50 CST 2000

> I don't see any issue with charging dues -- Linux isn't exactly "free".
> You have to figure the costs of purchasing a distro, or downloading, or
> burning it . . .etc.   If you do everything online, yes I can see free.
> But I can also see the benefits of something that you can hold in your hand
> -- a newsletter.  That costs money, as does mailings and other things.  I'm
> going to pickup our newsletters and it'll be another hefty chunk of change
> for that between printing and mailing costs.

	Um,  why do we need to print and mail newsletters when the great majority of the members
use e-mail?  All that entails is using a
word processor to produce an HTML or RTF document to distribute via the mailing list.  I think it
is completely unnecessary to
charge dues.  I am speaking as a member who is seldom able to attend meetings because of time
constraints.  I would not want to have
to pay dues for a club whose meetings I rarely attend.

	Other UGs that I belong to do not charge dues and do just fine.  One meets monthly at the
American Bandstand restaurant in OP and
the Mgmt is happy to have us.  We have computer demos, etc.  Maybe KCLUG needs to find someplace
like that.  Many restaurants have
large rooms where groups can meet and they don't usually charge for usage.  They make their $$$
from the people in the group who
decide to eat there.  Maybe I'm missing the boat on this issue, so correct me if I have misspoken.

Gene Dascher