Organizing KCLUG

Mac Wisler mac at wisler.org
Fri Feb 18 18:21:46 CST 2000

I like the idea of KCLUG becoming more organized.  I wanted to make a few
comments though, based on things that have already been mentioned.

There may come a time when the group may want to elect a president,
secretary, and other positions which would help keep us organized and lead
the way for the group.  The group should consider if this is really
necessary though, since it can hinge the fate of the whole group on a few
people.  My experience has also led me to see organizations fail when an
acting leader becomes can no longer serve that position and nobody else
wants to take on the position because of "too much responsibility".  I
think someone mentioned a UNIX users group episode where they announced
everyone to show up at the next meeting so that elections for new
positions could take place and nobody showed up...  I may be jumping the
gun on this, since we are still rounding ourselves together, but just
thought I would mention it.

I also want to mention that I think it would be a bad idea to charge dues.
For some people, such as students and others, it really does make a
difference if you can be in an organization or not when you are asked to
pay.  Dues may also go against the concept of the group since Linux is an
Open Source operating system and the main idea is that its "free".

I'm glad to see KCLUG becoming more organized though, I think it is
definitely a good thing.

Mac Wisler