KULUA/KCLUG assimilation

Dustin J. Decker dustind at zandura.net
Tue Feb 15 20:19:55 CST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Ripcrd6 wrote:

> Let's just get through this week and get some turn out at Bartle on Thurs.
> I think it's great that we can get the two groups together for the Demo
> Day.
I agree with Pricrd6 on this issue.  There's a lot of real estate out here
with new linux users popping up all the time.

Now I may come off with my nose in the air on this issue, but don't
misunderstand me, or read out of context. [And I certainly must preface by
saying I do not represent the consensus of KULUA.]

I feel with all these new users popping up all the time, there is a
definate need for user groups that can coddle new users - not pulling them
along in a rickshaw, but pointing in the direction of at the very least
the nearest bus stop. Groups with rich diverse backgrounds, both new and
"mature" talent, and even a touch of structured education.

KULUA historically to me has been more of the social group - hence the
move to calling our meetings "socials".  Those of you not familiar with
this dead thread from KULUA can basically function within this thread if
you simply know that structured meetings have had poor turn out for KULUA
in the past.  Our current "socials" are more of a gathering of folks who
over the course of some years have become good friends, all of whom use
Linux [or another *nix like OS] and enjoy each others company while
geeking out over good food, the latest industry topics, and a copy of The
Matrix.  Often turnout for "socials" is good.

As KULUA has evolved, members have too - into new jobs with enhanced
lifestyles and other associated issues, while sharing the common bond of
the mailing list and irc.  We still meet with great frequency, and welcome
anyone to attend with open arms.  Help is available in numerous forms from
many, while for some it is more of a social arrangement.

I cannot work beyond assumtion regarding KCLUG meetings, as I've never
attended one.  [Will be making my first this evening in fact.]  But I get
the impression that there is an atmosphere a touch more attractive to a
newbie who needs help - the meeting announcements frequently invite
visitors to bring along their computer if they are in need of assistance
with problems.  It indicates to me a group operating more along the lines
of one of those "structured" groups which IMHO can only be a good thing
when considering all these new linux users.

Two separate groups [and as I now understand it others in Westport etc.]
of different natures such as these will not mesh well together IMHO.  I am
a firm believer that the Linux Demo Day, and other such future events,
will demonstrate that LUGs in overlapping geographical locations will
enjoy the ability to work together toward common goals - and make some new
friends at the same time.  I for one am looking forward to it.

This opinion of course is based on my assumptions, and we all know how
that goes.  I've seen posts today about how refreshing folks think the
KCLUG meetings are due to their lack of structure too.  Maybe it all comes
down to perception, and my perception is skewed.  I think Jeffrey Watts
has a valid point - critical mass is a good thing.  But with it will come
the responsability of some form of additional structure, which members may
or may not be comfortable with, resulting in a possible return to the
smaller turnouts of the past.

Regardless, it's nice to see my tribe is still growing all the time...
Dustin

P.S. Microsoft may know we're coming, in case you haven't heard.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/000215-000010.html

"You say you are lying.  But if everything you say is a lie, then you are
 telling the truth.  You cannot tell the truth because everything you say
 is a lie.  You lie, you tell the truth... but you cannot, for you lie."
			-- Norman the Android, "I, Mudd" stardate 4513.3