Meeting reminder

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Mon Feb 14 21:52:20 CST 2000

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Ripcrd6 wrote:

> Thanks, I was just about to do the same.  I need to go to the office
> supply to get some card stock for business cards.  Since, I won't be
> able to make the meeting tomorrow I will need to hand them off to
> someone before Thurs. Anyone work or live in the Westport or
> Independence areas that is going to do the Demo Day event?

So is this going to be a LUG promotion event, or a Linux promotion event
(or both)?

Here's the problem as I see it - we have a fundamental problem with
overlap.  KULUA covers Topeka, Lawrence, and Kansas City.  KCLUG covers
Kansas City.  If we are going to promote LUGs, then we should promote
both, right?

However, this leads to a problem -- if people are getting information for
two LUGs that cover similar areas (KC), then most likely then people would
join _both_ LUGs.  This isn't a problem in and of itself, but it tends to
cause group dissolution and really begs the question:  do we need both
LUGs?  LUGs benefit mostly by having a large critical mass.  I don't know
the member distribution of KCLUG, but it seems like most people on the
distribution list are members of both groups.

In case someone doesn't know, I'm the president of KULUA.  I'd like to see
the both of us work together, but I feel we should talk about boundaries.

I'm not trying to start a flamewar, but simply trying to ascertain KCLUG's
raison d'ete.  So I've put these questions forth mostly to start a
discussion thread.

Thinking about it further, I think that it is important to distribute LUG
information at the event, so we probably ought to distribute both.
However, we probably ought to combine the two bits of information onto one
sheet.  KULUA is already making a one-sheet-wonder, is there someone with
KCLUG that can work with me on this?

Putting the meeting place / time on paper probably isn't a good idea,
since when the Microserf takes out the paper four months from now, the
time and place may have changed.  Sending them to a URL is better.

Let me know what you all think,
Jeffrey.

o-----------------------------------o
| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer            | "If you put multimedia, a leather   |
| Sprint - Systems Management   |  skirt, and lipstick on a           |
o-------------------------------|  grandmother and take her to a      |
                                |  nightclub, she's still not going   |
                                |  to get lucky."                     |
                                |  -- Jean-Louis Gassee               |