Meeting minutes for 2-02-2000

Randy Rathbun randy at middlewest.com
Mon Feb 7 22:49:28 CST 2000

>1.  This is not like an official KCLUG meeting minutes, but a run-down for
those not in attendance.

I certainly appreciate stuff like this! Would love to see someone type
something up every meeting if we can, even for those of us who do attend
(It has been a few months since I showed up) since the information does
tend to flow pretty fast.

>3.  It was decided that it would be too expensive to hand out Linux CDs
and too late to ask RedHat or one of the other Distros for CDs, see Linux
Demo Day page (list closed 1/31).   What we can do however is show up and
talk to people.  ... If someone could work on creating a sign with KCLUG or
Linux Info on it that would be great.  Please post your intentions to the
list and work together.  Does anyone know of the legality of handing out
info on the sidewalk downtown?

I have been considering buying a box or two of CDs and cutting my own
downloaded RH 6.1 distro and just handing those out to people. I could whip
through a couple of boxes of them in a weekend, and the prices for the
generic discs are not that expensive.  Granted, it would not be anything
fancy, but it might save someone a 25 hour download over ISDN.

As for handing out stuff, I am not sure it would be looked upon too highly
by KC's Finest - unless we had a permit to do so. It could be argued we
were (or, we are, since, after all, we kinda are) protesting against Big
Bill. Some things to really keep in mind here is to stay out of the way and
not even appear that we are trying to bother or keep people from
entering/exiting the building. That is, it would almost be better to set up
shop in the middle of the block away from the main flow of traffic and let
the masses come to us. Anyone have a giant penguin suit they could wear? :)

>4.  Linuxfest:  www.linuxfest.net  June 20-24 at the OP Trade Ctr.  Is it
for real? ... One example is that Eric Raymond is to be a keynote speaker,
yet their is no mention on his site about this event.

Wasn't there something on their site about ESR showing up to this thing? I
could swear I saw on their page where they said it, but if it was there it
is gone now.