Software modems - other rituals

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Sat Aug 19 01:39:52 CDT 2000

I was *THIS CLOSE* to putting Linux on my wife's machine . . . the HP
Pavilion has been about as stable as a fart in a whirlwind.  It was
experiencing issues, typical Win98 stuff.  I decided to start from ground
zero with a new 13.6gig drive.  After beating my head on the wall I yanked
it down from the Ultra DMA 66 to 33.   That got it solid again, until I put
in the net card.  The first PCI one would hammer it right away.  I slapped
an older ISA/PNP (Plug-n-Pray) and it still had issues.  I finally broke
down and bought a Linksys (still didn't want to fork over 3Com prices) and
now it works perfect.   GRRRRR.

I laughed as I thought about the problems of this little putrid box,
because my Linux boxes were humming along without a care in the world.
Tonight I might try my dedicated MP3 box again . . . see what I can do on
it.  ;-)

-- Bradley Miller