Win2000

Jeff McCright jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
Mon Aug 21 13:14:13 CDT 2000

What is the possibility of installing a seconf Hard Drive and installing Linux there?

Just a thought...

Thanks,

Jeff McCright

jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com

 ----------
From: kclug at kclug.org
To: kclug at kclug.org
Cc: jeff.mccright at southernunionco.com
Subject: RE: kclug - Win2000

If you're getting a Windows 2000 Professional box at work, then it will most
likely have NTFS installed on it.  The real problem is the security
descriptors that are built into the file system.  If the RedHat partitioning
utilities support NTFS 5.0 then there will be no problem with Windows 2000
being able to read the partion.  However, this may render your system as
unbootable.  Your best bet, if you have any control is either to use the
FAT32 file system (for Windows 2000) or to set aside the necessary space for
the creation of EXT2, and Linux Swap partitions.

I personally have not setup a dual boot of Linux and Windows 2000.  My
Win2000 box is a client machine, and I use Linux on my server and my laptop
:).  Unfortunately, this may leave you as being the one to experiment
through trial and error.

Rick Meeker