CRONTAB question

Drew_Rohde at kcmo.org Drew_Rohde at kcmo.org
Fri Apr 21 15:35:47 CDT 2000

You are not imagining things.
The * in the leftmost position tells it to run once EVERY minute of the
satifying hours.
If you only want it to run on the hour, change the first * to a 0.
Drew

Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com>@illiana.net on 04/21/2000
08:20:37 AM

Please respond to kclug at kclug.org

Sent by:  owner-kclug at illiana.net

To:   kclug at kclug.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: kclug - CRONTAB question

At 01:07 AM 4/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>You don't need to have 8-17 in there 5 times.  The following is correct:
>
>* 8-17 * * 1-5          /usr/local/batch/uploadpic.sh
>
>            ^-- Monday through Friday
>
>         ^- every month of the year
>
>       ^ - every day of the month
>
>   ^- 8am - 5pm on those days that fit between Monday
>         and Friday inclusive
>
>^ - every minute of each of those hours that fit between
>         8am and 5pm inclusive that also fit between
>         Monday and Friday inclusive

Ok -- but does it shut off right at 17 hours, or 17:59 hours?   I was
experimenting and I *think* it was still doing it at 17:59.   Am I just
imagining things?

-- Bradley Miller