DSL, broadband and the like

plastic quart plasticquart at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 05:00:40 CDT 2000

Hello all.

Tis my first post... so go easy on me.

Seeing I do know a few things about Internet connections… unlike Linux (I’ve
only had Linux on one of my boxes for a few months now… give me some time :)
  allow me to weigh-in on the broadband discussion.

My 9 to 5 weekdays are spent working with companies of all shapes and sizes
add Internet circuits (T-1, DS-3, OC-3, OC-12 – fractional and burstable).

And although I do not handle DSL lines specifically (I work for Sprint, and
ION is our DSL offering... but it is handled by another Sprint business
unit)... I do know a few things about how it is deployed because I have sold
T-1's, DS-3's and OC circuits to numerous ISP's for handling their DSL
customers.  So, what Pat says here (below) is correct.

Typically: Your copper to a DSLAM in the CO where your traffic (along with
you neighbor's DLS traffic and your ISP's dial-up traffic and your ISP's
hosted traffic, etc) joins together on your ISP's circuits (which is usually
several T-1's or a DS-3 or an OC-3) which carriers this traffic upstream to
their Tier-1 provider... which in my case is Sprint.  Now, of course not
every ISP handles this the same way. And, of course, I've left a few things
out for simplicity sake... But you get the picture.

DSL is nice. But I, like many of you, do not live in a "DSL-friendly"
neighborhood…. although I am using a cable modem as we speak, so I'm not
complaining too loud. But, one thing I must comment on is the "shared
bandwidth" argument.

As you can see from the network layout – DSL is shared.  Why can some ISP's
offer a solid 512k DSL connection to one house, and another ISP offer only a
128k DSL connection to the same house?... because you are "sharing" the
ISP’s bandwidth with all of their other users… and the 512k ISP obviously
has more bandwidth to offer.

The difference between a T-1 and a DSL circuit? Good question. While you do
share bandwidth with a DSL connection (yes, the "sharing" takes place a
little further upstream than w/ cable (well, it really doesn’t, but we can
pretend that it does), but it is bandwidth-sharing nonetheless)... while a
T-1(or DS-3, or OC-x) circuit gives you a dedicated Point-to-Point
connection to a router in a backbone node... well, unless you get your T-1
(or DS-3, etc) from a Tier-2 or Tier-3 provider (your typical baby bell,
CLEC (Birch), ISP, etc). These Tier-2/3 circuits share bandwidth in the same
way as a DSL circuit... i.e., you get a "static" information rate up to your
provider, but from their facilities on out to the Internet, you are sharing
capacity with all of their other customers.

By the way... in case you are wondering what a T-1 is going for these
days... I'll tell you:  roughly $1200 per month, total. (Unless, of course,
you live in the middle of nowhere). Now, is the admittedly much higher cost
justifiable? I don’t know. And, of course I am a little biased. But, I will
say this... your ISP, CLEC, ILEC, etc uses this type of circuit to carry
your DLS traffic upstream to the Internet.

Whew.  Well, I hope that isn’t too much for a first post.  But it should
clear up a few things. If anyone has any questions that I didn’t address...
post away.

Kirk