Community webserver?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Apr 20 18:34:35 CDT 2000

One thing that I might point out -- some DSL provider companies frown on
running your own mini-network . . . or hosting shop on your DSL line.  I
don't neccessarily agree with the policy, but I can certainly see the point
in their eyes.   I've got a little test server up that I play with, but I
would never repoint any of my domains.  Of course, it could be that I have
a server in St. Louis already -- but I really feel that a local DSL
connection shouldn't be used for serious hosting needs.  I would classify
the KCLUG site as a serious hosting need also.   Even though it's just a
user group, you want it to be available at anytime from any where.   If
your neighbor plows your telephone (DSL) connection . . . what happens?

I got into the same type of scenario with putting a server down at Lake of
the Ozarks.  I could have my hardware and do-it-myself, but putting in just
a T1 connection and having the possibility of someone accidently taking it
out was too great of a risk.  Especially when you have customers depending
upon a server.

There is somewhat of an idea there still -- I think I could get a Cobalt
RAQ server for around $300/month.   It doesn't take but about 30 people
wanting hosting at $10/month to make up the costs.   Anyone game?

-- Bradley Miller