Community webserver?

Dave Parker dlparker at dlpinc.com
Thu Apr 20 23:14:10 CDT 2000

Very good points, but that works for regular phone service as well.
A couple of weeks ago, about 3 days I after I got my DSL connection
put in the local phone company did some work on the switch that serves
Pleasant Hill.  This was around 2:30-3:00 in the morning.  After that
work was completed, EVERY ISDN line in Pleasant Hill was dead.  I called
in shortly after 7 that morning on my PCS phone to report it, and before
9 I had determined that ISDN was out all over town.  I also confirmed
that
there had been work done on the switch early that morning.  The people
at
the Sprint Local repair center noticed that they seemed to be getting an
awful lot of calls from Pleasant Hill, but apparently the people at the
Network Operations Center in Gardner didn't find out until around 3:00
that afternoon when I called from Kansas City to get an update on the
status.  All my voice service is ISDN (I have four numbers - two ISDN
lines - one business, one residential) and my service did not get
restored
until about 10:30 that night.  My SDSL service never hiccuped.  I had
planned on converting my email service to use my new connection over
that
weekend,  but ended up doing it under duress that day.  Redundancy is a
great idea, but if you're in one location, you're at much greater risk
than if you've got replicated bandwidth, storage, and processing power
at different locations.  Unless you've got three or four different lines
coming into your facility from different directions, one careless
utility
repair crew can wipe out all your connections with a little backhoe
action.
And you're still subject to woopsies from the local phone company if you
rely on their equipment.  And we all do.  The folks on the front line
are
doing their best, but they're not getting the kind of support they need
from their own companies to be able to keep up with all the changes in
the industry.  I think the 'grunts' are doing a fantastic job with
little
support from their multi-billion dollar communications giant du jour.
And
in fairness to the companies themselves, I'm sure their heads are
spinning
with the pace of change in the industry.

--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc.    dlparker at dlpinc.com    www.dlpinc.com