Setting up a Firewall...

Chad LaFarge chad at clafarge.com
Sun Apr 2 00:23:53 CST 2000

Hi, folks.

OK, I think I;m ready to set this up... I just lack the knowledge, know-how,
skills and tools to get the job done ;).

I need to set up a firewall/gateway to my cable connection on machine1.
Machine1(etho1), 2 and 3 will be connected via hub.  Machine1 (etho2) will
be connected to the cable MoDem.

Machine1 has (well, will have anyway) RedHat 6.2.

1. Is there a specific package on RedHat 6.2 that will do what I want (so I
won't skip it in the install, like a dumb***), and if not, is there a
recommended package?

2. Is it safe to run Samba on the local network when this is implemented?

3. In playing with Samba on Corel, I was able to see machine1 from machine2
and 3 (both Win98), but could not see machine2 or 3 from machine1... any
idea why?  I had (unsafe, but not connected at the time) full shares set up
on the Win98 workgroup at the time.

BTW:  Cable does not always possess the saving grace that it should... in
attempting to download RedHat 6.2 from -RedHat's- ftp, I was restricted to
8kbs... that 26 hours would not have been worth it. SourceForge seems to
have a faster connection.

Thank you in advance.

Chad LaFarge