Setting up a Firewall...

C T Miller cmiller3 at kc.rr.com
Sun Apr 2 14:51:45 CDT 2000

Chad LaFarge wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> OK, I think I;m ready to set this up... I just lack the knowledge, know-how,
> skills and tools to get the job done ;).
>
> I need to set up a firewall/gateway to my cable connection on machine1.
> Machine1(etho1), 2 and 3 will be connected via hub.  Machine1 (etho2) will
> be connected to the cable MoDem.
>
> Machine1 has (well, will have anyway) RedHat 6.2.
>
> 1. Is there a specific package on RedHat 6.2 that will do what I want (so I
> won't skip it in the install, like a dumb***), and if not, is there a
> recommended package?
>
> 2. Is it safe to run Samba on the local network when this is implemented?
>
> 3. In playing with Samba on Corel, I was able to see machine1 from machine2
> and 3 (both Win98), but could not see machine2 or 3 from machine1... any
> idea why?  I had (unsafe, but not connected at the time) full shares set up
> on the Win98 workgroup at the time.
>
> BTW:  Cable does not always possess the saving grace that it should... in
> attempting to download RedHat 6.2 from -RedHat's- ftp, I was restricted to
> 8kbs... that 26 hours would not have been worth it. SourceForge seems to
> have a faster connection.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Chad LaFarge

Go here for a pdf with great information about securing a machine/network....

 http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/gawlso/linuxsos-1.1.pdf

once you have setup the internal access(MANUAL IP) and the external access
(DHCP), remember to turn on ip-forwarding (otherwise the gateway will not allow
the internal network to address the outside world). IPChains has many
confuration tools/files ( I have tried pmfirewall http://www.pointman.org/ - it
is free ).

I have a firewall for controlling access through my cable modem ( and after
watching the ip access I am convinced everyone should have firewalling
services, at least through the same box ).

BTW - sunsite has almost every distro - and it is very fast....

Good Luck....