Ticket System [OT]

Patrick M pert at tas-kc.com
Fri Dec 17 08:52:30 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:

> [...]
Its possible as our customers become more tech savvy, but as of right
now we phone based and thinking along those lines. This could be a break
for us to take another step into the new century. We have been making
upgrades, but some mindset still keeps our staff thinking that people
would rather talk on the phone or are lazy and don't want to type.

Thats because our business is phones and we are afraid to say there is
other stuff out there. Since we are phone based most of our clients
think that way too. I think some people are lazy and would be O.K. with
typing rather than only calling.

>What types of information needs to be tracked? Reporting? Summarizations?
>Searchability? A simple solution that just tracks and assigns help tickets
>that doesn't need reporting or any fancy stuff would hardly be worth paying
>big bucks for when a simple freeware version should do all that is needed.

Some of these GPL systems seem to be pretty feature rich, its just how
well to they function. Are they buggy? Easy to use?
I doubt the free ones are designed to send out pages, but you never know
unless you look deeper they often just list reporting, emailing, and
prioritization.

>But if a Ticket system needs to have all the bells and whistles, then it
>might be time to consider shelling out some bucks. Personally I can't see paying
>for a help ticket system. Like Jonathon says, a quick and dirty MySQL db based
>system should be all anyone needs, and functionality can always be added as needed.

If all I wanted was a ticket number and fill in the blanks with
information, and add/update information as we work on a problem, I could
probably eventually create something. Our phone system has a Custom/open
FrontPage based scripting package. That uses MSsql and will supposedly
work with other sql servers.