Ticket System [OT]

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Dec 16 15:23:28 CST 2004

I'm not sure why what his service is, is relevant to choosing a help ticket
tracking system. We know from his email he doesn't want one geared only
for hardware. So this would tend to lean toward a more generalized system
requirement. The things he didn't make clear were the types of features
he wants in such a system. Such as should the ticket system allow clients
to log in and post tickets, or will all tickets be created from the support
desk? Will clients be able to look up the status and history of their help
tickets? What types of information needs to be tracked? Reporting? Summarizations?
Searchability? A simple solution that just tracks and assigns help tickets
that doesn't need reporting or any fancy stuff would hardly be worth paying
big bucks for when a simple freeware version should do all that is needed.
But if a Ticket system needs to have all the bells and whistles, then it
might be time to consider shelling out some bucks. Personally I can't see paying
for a help ticket system. Like Jonathon says, a quick and dirty MySQL db based
system should be all anyone needs, and functionality can always be added as needed.

$0.02,
Brian Densmore