linux on USB pen drive

Christopher Kanaan ckanaan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 20:21:23 CST 2004

I've been messing around with the slax linux distro on a USB pen
drive.  Here are the instructions to get it to work, you need at least
a 256MB USB pen drive.

0) format your USB pen drive (I used a FAT32 fs, I *think* it may work
with others, but I have not tested)
1) grab the Slax linux ISO and burn a bootable cd [ http://slax.linux-live.org ]
2) boot linux from the Slax CD and insert your USB pen drive
3) open a terminal
4) "cd /boot"
5) "./create_bootdisk.sh . /dev/sda1 /dev/sda SLAX" (feel free to
replace /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda if your USB pen drive is located
somewhere else)
6) change the boot order in your bios settings to have USB device come
before your harddrive
7) remove cd, keep USB pen drive plugged in, reboot, enjoy

As far as I can tell, Slax is a very clean and orderly distro with all
the init scripts and packages in good order.  You can find all the
packages that are included at
http://slax.linux-live.org/installed_packages.txt

Has anyone else had any experience using any linux distro's from a USB
pen drive?  Anyone seen any distro's that you can put on a USB pen
drive that work on the PowerPC architecture?

-Chris