RPMs and Debs creation

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Dec 9 13:41:48 CST 2004

Looks like either checkinstall or  pkgwrite will fit the bill for now.  I wonder if anyone ever thought of adding a connection to either of these from Synaptic, Aptitude, or one of the GUI RPM installers (Karchiver?).  It would be really sweet if I could just run "dpkg -i package.tar.gz" and it would build the .deb and install it.  Maybe if it asks a few questions, like confirm the version, arch., or a few other details  with the ability to skip and you'd be set.  dpkg already gets called by apt-get and apt-get is called by the gui installers, etc.

Brian Kelsay