RPMs and Debs creation

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Dec 9 14:47:41 CST 2004

Actually, I think it would be a good enhancement to dpkg,
but I think it should be a new option like:
dpkg -i --bldpkg package.src.conf, or
dpkg -i --zbldpkg package.tar.gz
depending on whether you've already built a config for the build
or not. Of course, it would require the installer know something
about what the depends are for program. I'm not sure how checkinstall
or pkgwrite know what to put into the depends section or even if
they do. This might be a major stumbling block for these two utilities.
After all anyone can download a targz file and compile/install it.
Having it actually work after doing so or actually getting it to
compile if you are missing a library or two is an entirely
different thing.

Brian Densmore