Dell Linux Engineering

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Dec 7 10:03:01 CST 2004

IBM has never had any product defects. All that talk about IBM
Deathstars and people sueing IBM to get replacement drives is
all Microsoft sponsored FUD. ;')

[ my laptop doesn't apply, being the dinosaur that it is]

> In general, in  tech support issues they are very good.  I
> can't tell you
> how many times I have used my next-day on-site warranty.  You
> call them up,
Well that's both good and bad. Good that you get timely support.
Bad that you *need* to use it frequently. Which would give me
shudders to think what happens when the warranty runs out.
I guess then it's time to go out and get a new one.

> My laptop is my #1 most important piece of computing
> hardware.  I can't
> take time to send it in and wait in some queue for repairs.
> Worse ... I
> can't risk having it damaged (or cost me more money) in
> shipping it back
> and forth.
Exactly my point.

Of course sometimes you think you had good tedch support, only to
discover in the end it isn't that great. Take Subaru for example.
They had great support and so did the dealership. That is until
the engine blew 4 miles out of warranty. Then all of a sudden, since
I didn't have every receipt for every oil change done on the car,
it was somehow my fault, even though the current sticker showed less
than a thousand miles since the last oil change. That's new engine
at $5000 at 60,004 miles. Subaru paid $0, I paid $5000.