Dell Linux Engineering

Tom Bruno crweb at vwords.com
Tue Dec 7 10:24:04 CST 2004

>IBM has never had any product defects. All that talk about IBM
>Deathstars and people sueing IBM to get replacement drives is
>all Microsoft sponsored FUD. ;')
>
>[ my laptop doesn't apply, being the dinosaur that it is]

I garantee this is not FUD,  I've had 7 that's right SEVEN deathstar
74.6 gig drives, all which have been replaced withing 6 months of being
replaced.

also,
  My laptop has had 4 that's right FOUR travelstar hard drives, 2 of
which simply stopped powering up one day, the other 2 desided that they
could no longer track their head position.

 What causes deathstar drives to die you might ask. Well, on my 7th
drive i did some research and found this out.  In a fine print readme on
Deskstar website, it says YOU MUST disable COMPAQ SMART support in your
bios or risk drive failure.   This is a default option is set to enabled
on most motherboards, and new pc's.

>>In general, in  tech support issues they are very good.  I
>>can't tell you
>>how many times I have used my next-day on-site warranty.  You
>>call them up,
>>

>Well that's both good and bad. Good that you get timely support.
>Bad that you *need* to use it frequently. Which would give me
>shudders to think what happens when the warranty runs out.
>I guess then it's time to go out and get a new one.

Did you read my story?   http://www.livejournal.com/users/crweb

also, I have many more whore stories about my dell laptop.