TV-OUT on laptop causes major damage, fire / shock

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:09:51 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:
> [...]
Another possible fault path is the isolation in the tv . MANY modern sets
have what is called a " Hot/Cold" chassis where parts are "isolated" from
  earth ground and could explain odd current effects .  All it takes is
a ground
  foil to break and the broken end to touch the wrong trace and POOFT ...
This coming from having spent several years fixing tv sets to component
  level when one could still make $ at it . Now that sets are almost
considered
  throwaway the construction has only gotten scarier . Take a good voltmeter
  and see if there is voltage from the tv video jack to earth ground- be
careful
of course .

A longer shot is reversed hot and neutral in one outlet of  either the
tv or computer?
Still longer shot is outlet #1  that tv is in is on L1 of a 220 service
and outlet#2
that laptop was plugged in was on L2 AND  neutral/ground was reversed
causing
220 volt potential difference ? The "hot" from one outlet thus tied to
the chassis of
tv, and the "hot" of the other leg tied likewise so both supposed
grounds were hots
of opposing legs = your arc current .

Oren

Thus what SHOULD  have been ground/neutral was HOT and POP goes your
weasel .
   Again this is guesswork but supported by past barking frog incidents
of similar  causes .
Headphone jacks on some tv's were potentially deadly if used where one
could be grounded
and the isolation cap failed .  No reported deaths  but many near misses .