Multiple desktop clients per kdm server

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Wed Dec 1 11:11:47 CST 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 09:48:50AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> So Thanks again Jason, I didn't find that in any of the man pages
> I looked at. Just curious did you find it in a man page, or by browsing?

I downloaded the kdm debian package from packages.debian.org and extracted
the data.tar.gz to see what files.  I looked in the kdmrc file, and it
has a section that says:

 # If the value starts with a slash (/), it specifies the file, where X-servers
 # to be used by KDM are listed; the file is in the usual XDM-Xservers format.
 # Otherwise it's interpreted like one line of the Xservers file, i.e., it
 # specifies exactly one X-server.
 # Default is ":0 local at tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp vt7"
 # XXX i'm planning to absorb this file into kdmrc, but i'm not sure how to
 # do this best.
 Xservers=/etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers

That seemed to tip me off as what file to change.  And the from looking
at the Xservers file, I figured that if the top line worked, we could
copy it and make a few changes creating the second X server.

I ran the same setup with GDM for a while, so I knew the feature had to
be there for KDM.  I don't use KDM, but I figured the kdmrc file would
be similar to the gdm.conf file, so it'd probably be a quick fix.

Jason replied back to me directly after my first reply and pointed out
that some non-free X drivers might not support multiple X server
instances, but looks like that doesn't affect your situation.  Maybe
it'll help someone out someday in the archives.

Jeremy