Need Help: Linux Client - Roadrunner Cable Modem - Sygate

Derek Moore derekm at germ.madcowi.com
Fri Oct 22 17:23:27 CDT 1999

> KC-Roadrunner uses DHCP for the DNS server ip, so it's not a static
> value that I can set for the nameserver in linux.  Following the
> sygate instructions I set the nameserver & gateway as 192.168.0.1 on
> the client machine.  The Linux client can ping the gateway and
> external numeric addresses, but I get 'Unknown Host' errors if I use a
> name address.

Well... If the proxy software you're using says to setup the gateway and
DNS servers to 192.168.0.1 and if you've set it that way under linux, then
there must be something messed up in the proxy application you're using.

You might want to check the file /etc/resolv.conf on your Linux box
though. It should look like:

search rr.com		# and any other search domains you want to specify
nameserver 192.168.0.1

If that's setup that way, then the Linux box will pull DNS from
192.168.0.1. If you do an "nslookup slashdot.org" and if that doesn't go
through then that most likely means that your proxy software isn't serving
DNS properly [or maybe you don't have the DNS proxy setup properly in the
proxy software you're using?].

If you can't get the the proxy software to proxy DNS properly then try
setting /etc/resolv.conf to use some nameservers that you know exist and
work... Like maybe Roadrunner's primary and secondary name servers... Like
so:

nameserver 24.128.1.80		# ns1.rr.com
nameserver 24.128.1.81		# ns2.rr.com

So long as you can get out over the Internet with IP addresses you can
specify any DNS server that you know works and you should be able to pull
DNS from it.

Okay, that's all,

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore [jZ]",
        "derekm [at] hackunix [dot] org",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */