Need Help: Linux Client - Roadrunner Cable Modem - Sygate

Edgar Allen era at sky.net
Fri Oct 22 17:13:49 CDT 1999

Darrin  Abend writes:

>  I've set up a simple network that runs the Sygate NAT on a Window95
>  machine.  All my other windows clients have no problem using the
>  Sygate gateway for cable modem internet access.  However, I can't
>  get my Linux client DNS working properly.  KC-Roadrunner uses DHCP
>  for the DNS server ip, so it's not a static value that I can set for
>  the nameserver in linux.  Following the sygate instructions I set
>  the nameserver & gateway as 192.168.0.1 on the client machine.  The
>  Linux client can ping the gateway and external numeric addresses,
>  but I get 'Unknown Host' errors if I use a name address.

>  I've looked at every FAQ and web page that I can find on this and
>  still no luck.  Has anyone set up this combination and got it
>  working?  Thanx in advance for any help.

If you can ping  external addresses then you can reach them and they
have the proper path to reply to you.

Lets take a quick look:

solar{era}81: nslookup -q=ns kc.rr.com.
Server:  ns1.sky.net
Address:  209.90.0.2

Non-authoritative answer:
kc.rr.com       nameserver = ns1.rdc-kc.rr.com
kc.rr.com       nameserver = ns2.rdc-kc.rr.com

ns1.rdc-kc.rr.com       internet address = 24.94.163.32
ns2.rdc-kc.rr.com       internet address = 24.94.163.33
solar{era}82:

So enter the IP addresses as your nameservers.  RoadRunner cannot
change those addresses without affecting an awful lot of machines,
both internal and external.  They will give lots of warning
before changing them both.  You can have more than one 'namserver'
line in your /etc/resolv.conf

I am not at a RedHat system or I would direct you to the exact
path in 'linuxconf'.  It must be somewhere under 'Network'.