ADSL

Derek Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Fri Oct 15 23:45:57 CDT 1999

> I have heard that some DSL providers will reassign IP's periodically

Yeah. That's one of the facilities of DHCP. And DHCP is how you get your
dynamic IP address via xDSL. With DHCP your computer is "leased" [for lack
of a better term] an IP address for a certain amount of time. Your client
must report back to the DHCP server after that given amount of time to
either get an extension on that "lease" or be reassigned a new IP with a
new "lease." The DHCP protocol can either let you keep that IP address or
it can reassign an entirely new address.

But, I mean... Most people REALLY don't need a static IP address. It
actually makes administration so much more of a pain in the arse. Sure a
static IP is a nice. But do we /really/ need one? My colocates at work do.
But my home machine; it'd just be a waste.

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at hackunix.org",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */