Issues with VMware and dialup?

Randy Rathbun randy at middlewest.com
Thu Oct 14 14:07:08 CDT 1999

Here's the deal: I am wanting to dump Windows at home. I do still need
to run it however, because I use Quicken to do all my banking
(electronic bill pay, downloading statements, that type of stuff).

Well, I started playing with vmware last week and I must say it is
very cool - running NT in a window with no problems at all.

Here is where a possible problem is creeping up on me - When you
install the second OS, be it Win95, 98, NT, another Linux, etc., it is
creating a new machine - it has it's own IP adress and everything, so
it is possible to have a bunch of other computers with a virtual
network set up, but you don't have any wires.

I am guessing that if I was to use Linux to dial up, I would have to
set Linux up to be a proxy for the virutal NT box? Or, would I be able
to set up the virtual NT box to have it's own dialup and use the
modem? Since I do not have a modem on this machine here, I can't test
it to see if a modem would even work with the virtual machine.

Has anyone tried this and if so, what did you do wrong (or, what
should I watch out for)?

TIA,
Randy