Win2k installation (not linux-related)

Derek Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Wed Oct 13 05:48:18 CDT 1999

Yeah... I'd have to agree with you. The installation of Win 2K is
amazingly slow. Sure, you only need half a brain to successfully install
it successfully, but it takes forever. Whereas, with most any distrobution
of GNU/Linux you first off need a brain to install it; but having the
brain is the hard part, the rest is speedy quick and a breeze.

One thing though... As much as I hate to say it, I must give Microsoft a
teenie eensie bit of credit. Win 2K, albeit a P.O.S., does a decent job on
the server end now. Far better, at least, than Win NT Server did. I mean,
you can at least do quite a lot now from the command line and they've even
thrown in a few Un*x-style commands. Now if they could just get rid o'
that stupid GUI and give us a console mode option, but I don't ever see
that happening. GNU/Linux and FreeBSD [and other free unices] still have
Win 2K beat on low-end hardware, but on high end boxen Win 2K puts up a
good fight for it's money. But hopefully the Linux kernel 2.4 and FreeBSD
4.0 will fix the problems and limitation that currently hold them up in
certain spots.

I mean, don't get me wrong... I still dislike Microsoft products with a
passion. I'm just saying that Microsoft at least seems to be on a more
right track now [or at least a less wrong track *grin*].

PS: Like my new email address? *grin*

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at hackunix.org",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */