Win2k installation (not linux-related)

Steven Holdener sholdener at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 13 04:55:48 CDT 1999

Okay, so this is only on-topic in a sort-of-related kinda way...

A friend of mine procured a Windows 2000 Professional CD and we
attempted an installation this evening.  All I can say is that it's a
good thing M$ hasn't released it yet.  A brief rundown:

The computer was an Intel 200MHz Pentium, 96MB RAM with Win95 and RedHat
6.0 already installed.  Win2k went on a new 1GB partition of a Western
Digital HD (512k cache).  Not a screamer of a system, but read on...

We ran the setup off a CD from Win95.  After copying some files over for
a minute or two, the system was rebooted.

After booting 'win' as usual at the LILO prompt, we were given a new
choice between 'Windows' (95) and 'Windows 2000 Pro Installation'.
Proceeding with the install, we selected a new unused partition and the
FAT fs (for compatibility purposes).  The program then formatted the
drive and copied some more files over.  This took a little while (5-15
minutes?).  The system then rebooted again.

This time the computer came up into a graphical environment and informed
us it was detecting 'devices such as [our] keyboard and mouse.'  It
apparently probed the floppy drive, video settings, etc.  This took
10-15 minutes and, I believe, required another reboot.

Then we selected locale/keyboard mapping preferences and supplied a
computer name and admin password.  At this point, Windows announced it
would install 'Windows 2000 components'.  This took 4-5 minutes.

The final stage of installation was called 'Final Tasks' (configuring
Start Menu, registry, saving settings, and removing temp files).  This
took an ungodly 50-60 minutes!!!  And, of course, a reboot.

Win2k then came up and needed a couple little configuration tidbits.  We
were ready to send an email to kclug about our experience...until
Windows failed to detect the modem on COM3 correctly.  You wouldn't
think that's too tough--it is jumper-set to COM3, IRQ4.  So we gave up
and sent the email from Win95.

I understand this is not a consumer release yet, but it's a *long* way
from ready, if you ask me.  It took a good 2+ hours!  I installed RedHat
6.0 in half that, easy.  I wonder if some complaints about the
'difficult' Linux install come from people who only use the pre-loaded
Windows OS.

Just some thoughts.

-Steve Holdener