Question about keyboards & Linux

Derek Moore derekm at madcowi.com
Sun Oct 10 02:05:10 CDT 1999

> How difficult (or easy) is it change (or add new) keyboards on a computer
> with Linux already installed?

It's as easy as unplugging your current keyboard and plugging in your new
keyboard. Unless you're gonna use some software driven Dvorak keyboard or
something extremely rare like that, you'll have to change keymaps... But
other for these "CoolKeyboards" you will need to do absolutely nothing.

I dunno... You were the first person I heard of the CoolKeyboard from.
They look to me like a gimmick. They're nothing special really. They're an
ugly keyboard with the normal Windows keys replaced with Tux and a Linux
logo. I'm not too impressed. How do you design a keyboard specially for
Linux?? I mean really? A keyboard is a keyboard. There aren't Windows-only
keyboards. They all interface the same way.

If you really wanted a specially keen keyboard I'd suggest going with a
Happy Hacker keyboard. They're super neato. These CoolKeyboards look like
normal "generic" 107-key keyboards, except they've changed the labels on
the Windows keys.

Anyhow... I guess that's all, yo,

/*  Begin Signature File  */
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
@sig = ("Derek Paul Moore",
        "derekm at madcowi.com",
        "I don't do Microsoft.",
        "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.");
print ("$sig[0]n$sig[1]n$sig[2]n$sig[3]n");
/*   End Signature File   */