Question about keyboards & Linux

Bob Batson bob at sky.net
Mon Oct 11 16:05:45 CDT 1999

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Derek Moore wrote:

> It's as easy as unplugging your current keyboard and plugging in your new
> keyboard. Unless you're gonna use some software driven Dvorak keyboard or
> something extremely rare like that, you'll have to change keymaps... But
> other for these "CoolKeyboards" you will need to do absolutely nothing.

[SNIP]

Great! And sure it's a gimmick -- but two things attracted me to this
keyboard:
1)  It's described as a mechanical keyboard with tactile feedback. I
can't stand those membrane type kybrds. I thought that Keytronic made
pretty good kybrds., but the ones I've seen advertised for sale were
either membrane-type or else there isn't any mention of what type it is.
The VA Linux Systems computer comes with the a Keytronic 101 key kybrd.,
but there's no description at all.

2)  The CoolKeyboard comes with a dust cover, but since I got your
message, it's been described as "removable" which is not what I'm
looking for. I want to get one of those permanent, flexible,
custom-fitted keyboard "condoms" that I can still use the keyboard
without removing the dust cover. These covers are now made by Viziflex
but I think they used to be made by Safeskin. The only problem is you
need to know your keyboard brand and model.

Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
bob at sky.net                             Kansas City
TCS - Mystic Fire Priest                USDA zone 5b