4G Cards

Nathan Cerny ncerny at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 13:49:42 CST 2011

Very true on all of your points.  And I honestly don't know how Verizon
handles it.  I know AT&T's "Unlimited" plan is sold as unlimited with the
thought that you're only going to be doing certain things on your phone.  So
they've build out the infrastructure to support so much bandwidth.  It is
unlimited, but it's really not for that reason :)  That's why they force you
to go to a capped plan when you enable tethering.  I just assumed the other
carriers were doing similar things.

I wasn't clear about what I meant with increasing throughput.  Tethering
does increase throughput, not because of the amount of data you can pull,
but because of the amount of data you want to pull.  Think about streaming
video - on a phone running at 900x300px, you're pulling much less data than
streaming 720p on your computer over 4g on your phone.  That's the point I
was trying to make :)

You are right though, that 99% of the smartphone users out there don't use
any bandwidth at all.

Cool about adb.  I hadn't realized it existed - only way I knew of doing it
was to root the phone or purchase tethering.

--
Nathan Cerny