TV Tuners on GNU/Linux

Joe Holloway jholloway7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 15:05:33 CDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:
> Your best bet is a cable box feeding into a video capture card, not a tuner.
> To feed a tuner, the cable box has to generate an HD RF signal.  You will not
> be able to decode the digital cable signal with a tuner card.  (TW may still
> provide some analog channels, but I think they've gone all digital.)

Jonathan,

You're right, I have a bad habit of lumping all of these various
devices together as "TV tuners" when I'm referring to them, but the
distinction makes sense now.

Does anyone have experience/recommendations with such capture devices
under GNU/Linux?   If I end up purchasing one and getting it to work
I'll report my findings back to the list.

Thanks