TV Tuners on GNU/Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat Apr 23 12:10:56 CDT 2011

Joe,

Your best bet is a cable box feeding into a video capture card, not a tuner.
To feed a tuner, the cable box has to generate an HD RF signal.  You will not
be able to decode the digital cable signal with a tuner card.  (TW may still
provide some analog channels, but I think they've gone all digital.)

There are some tuners that can use a decoding card supplied by the cable or
satellite provider, however I have not heard of any of the local providers
offering this service.  This is what you would use with a TiVi branded DVR.