Buying a New Laptop

Joe Holloway jholloway7 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:56:51 CDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Glenn Robuck <techravingmad at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont find that the adjustment to 16x9 is such a big deal, it does change
> the size of my windows and I have to have them a bit higher up though.
>
> I am planning on buying three 16x9 screens in the near future but I plan on
> using two of them in portrait mode on each side of the middle one in
> landscape mode.  Works great for video and photo editing as well as coding.

Three 16:10 would be better still ;) Maybe putting two or three of
them side-by-side in portrait mode would make it somewhat tolerable,
but I consider myself lucky if I can get any multi-head configuration
to work properly, let alone getting that fancy with it.

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference, but I hope I still
have a choice the next time I'm in the market for a new display.  As
an aside, I've heard of people that enjoy writing code on netbooks,
but the thought of that makes me cringe.  Getting maximum code on a
screen at once is important to me, which is also why I stick to
80-column code conventions whereby I can easily fit two or three
different sections of code side-by-side on a single display.

I wish these kids coding on their netbooks would stay off my lawn!