Buying a New Laptop

Jim Herrmann kclug at itdepends.com
Sat Apr 23 10:44:27 CDT 2011

I really appreciate all the discussion that this thread generated.  It
really helped me decide.  So, here's what happened for me.

I went to MicroCenter, and almost bought the ASUS, but they didn't have it
on display for me to play with or see.  They did have it in the box in
back.  We went through the specs one more time and it's all Realtek, and
Jason's comments about that really came in to play, and I ended up walking
out of the store.  I decided at that time that I was going with System 76.
Their machines look like they are probably Thinkpads rebranded, what with
the Ultrabay option.  They are about the same price as a Thinkpad, and with
my purchase I'm putting my money where my mouth is in not paying for Windows
when I'm not going to use it.  I know that absolutely every single piece of
hardware on that machine will be supported by Ubuntu, as that's what's
coming with it.  So, the moral value, for me, in the end made it worth going
with a Linux based distributor.

Again, everyone, thanks for all the input.  You changed my mind.  Several
times.  I'll give a report on the System 76 machine when I get it.

Gazelle Professional
 * - Car AC Adapter: no car AC adapter*
 * - Display Resolution: 15.6" Full HD LED Display with Matte Finished
Surface (1920 x 1080)*
 * - Extra AC Adapter: no extra AC adapter*
 * - Extra Battery: no extra battery*
 * - Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video
Memory*
 * - Hard Drive: 500GB 7200rpm SATA Hybrid Hard Drive with 4GB SSD*
 * - Hardware Warranty: 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support*
 * - Laptop Bag: no bag*
 * - Memory: 4 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 2 X 2GB*
 * - Operating System: Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) 64-bit*
 * - Optical Drive Bay: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive*
 * - Processor: 2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor ( 6MB L3
Cache, 2.00GHz )*
 * - Recycle Your Old Computer: no, thank you*
 * - Wireless: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN
Module*

Thanks,
Jim